David loves to hear about ways that parents use math with their children at home and on family outings. David calls these “Math Moments™“. He collects stories and photographs of families enjoying math and writes about them in his regular Math Moments™ column, published here and on other education and parenting websites.
Math Moments™ will encourage you to find the math in everyday family activities — sports, shopping, hobbies, cooking, travel, games, gardening, art, outings (including zoos, museums, aquariums, parks) and more. See David’s Math Moments™ below.
David wants to hear about how your family uses math in everyday life. With your permission, he may add your family’s “math moment” (and pictures, if you provide some) to his new website feature, “A Million Ways To Do Math.” If he writes a book that includes your submission, he will send you a copy — signed, of course! For information and release forms, go to “A Million Ways To
- Company’s Coming When food is served, math can be dished up at the same time. Children will be eager to help themselves ... Read more
- Driven by Math Every morning, Michael Pease drives his daughters to school. It’s a seven-minute drive and Michael makes sure the minutes are ... Read more
- Big Lesson from Big Numbers Susan Jarema doesn’t have to look far to find Math Moments. Her two children, Maya, 6, and Colin, 4, provide ... Read more
- A Fair Day for Math “How much does it weigh?” “I have no idea!” “How much do you think it weighs?” Nine-year-old Brien cannot believe his mom is ... Read more
- Savory Summertime Estimation Math is everywhere, even inside a watermelon, as four children discovered at a vacation cabin in the mountains. It all ... Read more
- Math on the Road A family road trip offers many possibilities for side trips and sightseeing. For the Hart children – Josh, 12, Kallie, ... Read more
- Crafty Math In his camouflage trousers and brown sweatshirt,Ty Evenich, 6, looks like he’s getting ready for a hunting trip. Which, in ... Read more
- Everybody Counts! Elizabeth Todd and her mother walk through their neighborhood almost every day. At almost 4 years old, Elizabeth loves to ... Read more
- Home Improvement = Math Improvement When Phyllis Licht decided it was time to replace her lawn with a lush garden, she knew where to turn ... Read more
- Math on Ice On a frosty January morning, 5year-old Miya found icicles hanging from the garage and decided to collect them. She noticed ... Read more
- Good Games, Good Math It takes less than a second for 12-year-old Jennifer Sirrine to look at the 12 cards on the table and ... Read more